Jump starting a regular vehicle can be stressful enough, but what happens when you need to jump start something that also has a hybrid drive system? Not to worry, as we’ve put together an easy list of steps to show you how to jump start a Toyota hybrid vehicle, such as the 2018 Toyota Camry. Take a look below for a quick set of instructions.
How do you Jump Start a hybrid vehicle made by Toyota?
First, you will want to make sure both cars are safely parked and turned off before starting.
- Step 1: Open the hood and locate the Jump Start Terminal under the fuse box cover
- Step 2: Connect the red positive jumper cable to the positive terminal
- Step 3: Connect the other red positive jumper cable to the positive battery terminal on the car giving the jump.
- Step 4: Connect the black negative cable clamp to the negative battery terminal on the car giving the jump.
- Step 5: Connect the second negative clamp to a solid, stationary, and unpainted metallic point that is out of the way.
From here, you just need to start the engine on the vehicle giving the jump and let it run for about 5 minutes. Then you can turn on the Toyota hybrid and look for a “Ready” indicator to come on. You can then remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were connected in.
Video Steps for Jump Starting a Hybrid Toyota
More of a visual learner? Take a look at this video demonstration of how to jump start a hybrid model from Toyota. For this video, we’re looking at the RAV4 hybrid. As you can see, the 12-volt battery is actually located in the rear of the vehicle, but jump starting is similar because of the special jump start terminal under the hood.
Toyota Battery Service in White River Junction
Can’t get your Toyota hybrid model to start? Be sure to bring it in to see the experts at White River Toyota!